Most of us do not know phishing meaning. Phishing is something by which online attackers steal all your sensitive data. The attackers send you a hyperlink or email which looks genuine, and you furnish all your personal details for them to use for fraudulent transactions. Similarly, it may also happen to your card wallets, where you get a link claiming to be a gift coupon, and once you click it, you will lose your money. Hence, a wallet card protection plan is also crucial in the current scenario. Bajaj is one of the leading insurance providers in India that provides such wallet protection plans.
What are the most common phishing attack methods?
Attackers do phishing for you to allow them to access your device and all the sensitive data. The security breach will allow the attackers to misuse your device or data to their benefit. The most common scenarios where you will fall prey to the are:
- When your email Inbox has a link from your bank asking to complete certain formalities. Once you click the link, you will be taken to a website that entirely looks
- A website link similar to your webmail asking to furnish your login credentials
Phishing can happen both online through websites or hyperlinks and over a phone call. The deceiving tactics are dangerous in phishing, which makes people believe that the source is genuine.
Types of phishing scams
The foremost thing is to understand the damages which may happen due to phishing. Phishing can be initiated through text messages, hyperlinks, fake websites, or a phone call. Let us try to figure out some phishing attacks to protect ourselves from such situations.
- Phishing through a clone is an attack in which the legitimate message is cloned with a fraudulent one. Such attacks are quite often seen through email, social media, or text messages
- Social media phishing is at large these days. Here attackers post direct messages or try to impersonate your friend or relative to steal your personal and sensitive information
- Domain spoofing is the easy method to spoof a real domain name with a fraudulent one. For instance, if your bank’s domain is abc.com, the attackers will spoof it as bca.com, etc.
- A phishing email is another medium through which the attackers mislead users and send hyperlinks to get payments, sensitive details, etc.
How to protect yourself against phishing emails?
- Get an additional security guard to protect your email inbox against any such suspicious emails. The better option is to install good antivirus software with a robust firewall
- Do not open a suspicious email or click on any hyperlink. There may be some emails that contain malicious scripts leading to an attack stealing your sensitive information
- Keep your system software up to date and get all security patches periodically
- Never trust alarming alerts which may seem to be from your bank, insurance company, or business stakeholders. Verify the authenticity and then proceed with the opening of the message
- Never provide your email address on unverified public domain
- Most of the emails come with unsubscribe links; think twice before clicking them. Attackers must have spammed you with such a link to increase spamming into your account
Phishing is the most commonly used technique to steal your personal and sensitive information online. Attackers try to steal your information through phishing emails and hyperlinks that pose from a genuine source. Hence, it is always good to understand phishing meaning to help you fight against such attacks efficiently. Furthermore, credit card insurance from reliable insurance companies such as Bajaj is also important to protect yourself against financial fraud.